Before the test
- PLEASE NOTE: For the safety of staff, the public and our furry friends, we encourage pets not to visit us when coming to a DEQ testing station. Service animals are welcome.
- No smoking on State of Oregon property
- Please turn off cell phone in the testing lane
- Make sure your vehicle is in good working condition. Vehicles that pose a safety hazard will not be tested
- Trailers, towed vehicles or other mobile equipment must be disconnected from the vehicle prior to testing
- Excessively smoking vehicles will not be tested, for more information see our smoking vehicles fact sheet / Autos emitiendo humo en exceso.
* Paperwork not necessary to receive just an emission test.
Note for model year 1996 and newer vehicles: When the Check Engine light is illuminated on your dashboard, then (in the vast majority of cases) your car will not pass DEQ and is in need of repair. Once your vehicle receives repair and the Check Engine light has turned off, be sure your mechanic explains the drive cycles your vehicle must experience prior to going through DEQ's test. Otherwise, if you test too early after a repair your test results will be “Unready," meaning your vehicle's computer hasn't finished evaluating all of the emission control equipment.
About the test
Renewing your registration
If your vehicle passes a DEQ emissions test you can renew your registration and receive your DMV tags at the DEQ inspection stations. DEQ cannot issue DMV renewal tags without administering a test.
Be sure to bring:
- Your entire DMV registration renewal form with sections 1 (insurance information) and 2 (signature of owner) completed.
- DEQ accepts Cash, PIN-less Debit/Credit card (VISA, MasterCard or Discover) or money order to pay for the emissions test AND your DMV registration fees.
After passing the test, you will receive the certificate needed to renew your registration. The certificates are valid for 180 days. Once it is used to register the vehicle, you do not need to test again for two years.
Did you lose the DMV information mailed to you?