Skip to the main content of the page

About Us

​​​​​​Can I have an exotic animal as a pet?

Importing exotic animals on the following list is not allowed: non-human primates, bears, non-indigenous canines (except domestic dogs), non-indigenous felines (except domestic cats), and crocodilians.

I own a stable that boards horses and one of my clients hasn't paid his boarding fees. What are my options?

Possessory chattel liens are liens where the creditor has the right to hold possession of the specific property until satisfaction of the debt or performance of an obligation. Claimants have the right to take possession of the chattel, notify the debtor of the charges due, and eventually foreclose to obtain satisfaction. Oregon Revised Statute Chapter 87 provides the authority for all liens, including the possessory and non-possessory chattel liens. The procedure for filing liens is outlined in the statute. ORS 87 is under the Secretary of State’s jurisdiction.

I want to travel into Oregon from abroad, what is required for pets to enter Oregon?​

Oregon’s import requirements for healthy dogs or cats entering Oregon from outside the US are: Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (health certificate) issued no more than 30 days before entry and vaccination status must be current for rabies. No formal quarantine period is required in most instances. For information, call 503-986-4680.

I want to travel to another country with my pets, what will they need​?

For international travel contact the USDA International Pet Travel line at 360-753-9430.

I want to travel to another state with my pets, what will they need?

Contact the Animal Health Department of the state of destination for import requirements.

One of my livestock died on my ranch, what do I do?

It happens everyday. A cow or horse dies unexpectedly. Owners of these animals need to know that there are sound and appropriate ways to dispose of the carcasses. Improper disposal of animal carcasses can pollute ground an​d surface water, and jeopardize the health of livestock, wildlife and pets. Carcass disposal must comply with Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) Chapter 601. Some counties also have their own disposal-related ordinances. A Large Animal Mortality brochure is available from the ODA publications page.

Where can I find more information on egg-laying hen compliance?

Please visit the Internal Services and Consumer Protection page on egg-laying hens.

Where can I find more information on the Wolf Depredation Program?

Please visit the Internal Services and Consumer Protection page on wolf depredation.

Where do I report animal abuse or neglect?

Call local law enforcement or Oregon Humane Society​ at (503) 802-6707.

Will the State Veterinarian examine my pets?

The State Veterinarian’s office does not examine pets. Licensed private veterinarians provide this service. A very handy “Find a Vet” online tool is available from the Oregon Veterinary Medical Association’s website.

Animal Health
635 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4680
Fax: 503-986-4734

​​If you find a sick or ​dead livestock or poultry, don't touch it, report it!

Oregon State Veterinarian
Animal Health
635 Capitol St NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4711
Alt Phone: 1-800-347-7028

​​For Wildlife, contact:

Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

Phone: 1-866-968-2600