Licensing facilities and registering feed products
- All commercial animal feeds must be registered with ODA
- A facility that is manufacturing, wholesaling, or
registering a commercial animal feed must be licensed with ODA annually.
- Licenses and registrations are for the calendar year
(January 1 through December 31). Fees are not prorated.
Producers of food for household dogs, cats, birds, and
fishes are not required to register.
A custom feed is a formula that only one end-user receives.
Custom feeds are exempt from product registration. However, a feed mill
producing custom feeds must be licensed with ODA each year.
A commercial feed is a formula sold to two or more
end-users. It must be registered and labeled as a commercial feed.
Commercial feed is defined in ORS 633.006. See the resources section for details.
- If you only wholesale products made and labeled by others,
the annual facility license is $100.00.
- If you are a manufacturer or contract feeder, or if you are
registering a product for a manufacturer, the fee is based on tons of product
made, sold, or used in Oregon.
Estimated tonnage and annual fee
|5,000 tons or less
|5,001 to 10,000 tons
|10,001 to 20,000 tons
|20,001 to 30,000 tons
|More than 30,000 tons
Out-of-state manufacturers and product registrants
Fee for out-of-state manufacturers is based on total tonnage
sold in Oregon. Use chart above.
In-state manufactures, feeders, and product registrants
Fee for in-state manufactures, feeders, and product
registrants is based on tonnage made, sold, or used per facility. Use chart above.
Feed product registration
Every brand and each formula in the following list must be
registered when manufactured, compounded, delivered, distributed, sold,
offered, or exposed for sale in Oregon. The registration fee for each brand or
formula is $20.00.
- Commercial feeds
- Ingredients for mixing animal feeds
- Feed additive concentrates
- Special mixes that are exchanged between industry
- Print the application
- Complete the form
- List each product and attach a copy of its product tag or
- Enclose your check for the correct fee
- Mail to ODA
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Product registration fee
PO Box 4395, Unit 17
Portland OR 97208-4395
Feed Licensing Statute - ORS 633
Grades, Standards and Labels for Feeds, Soil Enhancers and Seeds ORS 633 - Feed licensing