Home schooling is an educational option in Oregon. Parents who choose to home school their children must register them at their local Education Service District (ESD) within 10 days of withdrawal from public or private school.
To Register Your Child For Home Schooling:
Home schoolers must be registered with their local Education Service District (ESD). Registration must occur within 10 days of withdrawal from public school. To register your child for home schooling, contact your ESD representative from the list below.
Home School Testing
Curriculum and assignments are not provided by the State, however, testing is required at grades 3, 5, 8 and 10. Please visit the State Standards webpage which states the grade level expectations for what public school students are expected to be able to know and be able to do by graduation. Your local ESD, district or public school may also be able to provide additional resources to support your child.
How do I become an approved home school tester?
A "Qualified person" is an individual who:
- Holds a current personnel service license or teaching license from Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission; or
- Has been licensed by the Oregon Board of Psychologist Examiners; or
- Has met the publisher's qualifications for purchase, and has purchased at least one of the approved tests; or
- Provides evidence of satisfactory completion of a graduate course in which test administration and interpretation is included in the objective; or
- Has previously qualified as an Oregon home school tester, and has during the previous year administered at least one of the approved tests.
For example, if you have a current Oregon personnel service or teaching license, then you would send a copy of your license with your request. If you qualify because you have met the publisher’s qualifications for purchase and purchased at least one of the approved tests, you would submit evidence that the publisher has approved you and evidence of the test you purchased.
To express interest in become a home school tester, please contact Annie Marges, 503-934-0787. Once on the list, you will be sent an update form each year and asked to return it by April 1st.
If the form is not returned, your name will be removed from the list and you
will have to re-apply.NOTE: we are currently requesting response from approved testers to update our records, and have extended the deadline to return the form by May 15, 2019.
- HS Tester Contact List This list is updated as testers provide new contact information to the ODE Home School Staff. Please take a moment to make sure your information is current. If you need to make changes, please contact Terri Nelson.
Please take time to review the Questions & Answers, and Laws, Data and Resources
pages before requesting additional information on home schooling.
Other Helpful Links
A variety of private and public alternative schools and programs are evolving to support Oregon's commitment to help students achieve high academic and career-related standards and to pursue their individual goals and interests.
A charter school is a public school operated by a group of parents, teachers, and/or community members as a school of choice within a school district.