Subscribe to receive State Board of Education Updates
The Oregon Legislature created the State Board of Education in 1951 to oversee the state’s schools. The board sets educational policies and standards for Oregon's 197 public school districts, and 20 educational service districts. All of these agencies have separate governing bodies responsible for transacting business within their jurisdiction.
The Oregon State Board of Education is comprised of seven members appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the State Senate. Five members represent Oregon’s five congressional districts, and two members represent the state at large. Members serve four-year terms and are limited to two consecutive terms. Board members elect their chair each year. The State Board meets at least six times per year and the public is welcome to attend State Board meetings.
Provide leadership and vision for Oregon’s public schools and districts by enacting equitable policies and promoting educational practices that lead directly to the educational and life success of every student.
The Oregon State Board of Education will work collaboratively and inclusively with stakeholders to develop and sustain a public education system that empowers every student to reach their full potential.
- EQUITY: We will ensure in words and actions that every student has access to the resources and supports they need to thrive in school. We will explicitly work toward an education system that is culturally responsive, sustaining, eliminates barriers, and is relevant to Oregon’s diverse communities.
- INTEGRITY: We will act with honesty and transparency in everything we do.
- INNOVATION: We will promote creativity, challenge the status quo, and work to improve Oregon’s education system.
- EMPOWERMENT: We will value, respect, and listen to multiple perspectives, and empower students, education professionals, families, and community members to take a leading role in ensuring student success.
- INCLUSION: We will ensure that every student has access to the opportunities and benefits of Oregon’s education system.
- EXCELLENCE: We will take actions to ensure the Oregon education system prepares every student for college, career, and life.
- ADAPTABILITY: We will modify and adopt policies and practices to respond to changing social, demographic, operational, or financial conditions in order to do what is best for students and schools.
- STUDENT CENTERED: We will ensure that all discussion, decisions, and action are centered on the best interest of every student.
If you would like to provide public comment to the State Board of Education or be added to the Public Meeting Notices email list, please contact the State Board Administrator.