Oregon Forensic Evaluator Trainings
Training for Oregon certified forensic evaluators is administered by Oregon Health Authority and provided by the Northwest Forensic Institute. During the COVID-19 pandemic, trainings are held via live webinar.
- Initial Training (mandatory for all new evaluators): April 20-22, 2021
- Juvenile Training: April 23, 2021
- Recertification Training: May 14, 2021
Training is restricted to new applicants for certification, currently certified evaluators, and Forensic Evaluation Service interns.
Application materials for certification or recertification, including the $250 nonrefundable application fee, must be submitted prior to registering for training.
How to register:
Register for your preferred training date on the Northwest Forensic Institute website.
For questions regarding certification, contact the Forensic Certification program at Forensic.Certification@dhsoha.state.or.us.
Participation in the Oregon Forensic Evaluator Training is mandatory for all individuals applying for initial certification as forensic evaluators. Trainings are held two to three times annually and cover:
- Review of Oregon statutes and case law applicable to competency and criminal responsibility,
- Testing and assessment of competency and criminal responsibility,
- Required contents of a written evaluation report,
- Ethical standards,
- Risk assessment as it relates to the forensic evaluation, and
- Recommending treatment and services.ecommending treatment and services.
The initial training is three full days and an examination is administered at the conclusion.
An optional additional day of training provides specialized instruction for evaluators desiring to perform evaluations on children younger than age 15. This day is mandatory for those who intend to perform juvenile evaluations. An exam is also held at the conclusion of the juvenile session.
Recertification training is mandatory every two years to provide information regarding relevant changes to law, Oregon Administrative Rules and relevant advanced topics.
Participation in the Oregon Forensic Evaluator training is restricted to new applicants for certification, currently certified evaluators, and Forensic Evaluation Service interns.
There is no additional cost to participate in the training; costs for training are included in the fee for application. Currently certified evaluators are welcome to join any training for a refresher at no charge.