Statute / Rule
Oregon Revised Statute (ORS):
Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR): 409-022
Instructions on Ordering Inpatient Hospital Discharge Data
The Office of Health Analytics makes public use files of patient hospital discharges available for a variety of purposes. The data has been de-identified using the
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule's Safe Harbor standard for de-identification. As a result, full 5-digit zip code information is not available in public use files.
Annual data files are available in comma-delimited format, accompanied by documentation, for calendar years 2007 through the most recent year available - currently 2021. The cost is $250 per year or $75 per quarter of data requested. The numbers of discharges varies by year, but are generally in excess of 350,000 records per year.
To obtain public use datasets please do the following:
- Please review our
- Review the inpatient hospital discharge layout and
example data sets for inpatient and/or emergency department discharges to ensure the variables are sufficient for your needs. The Office of Health Analytics will not refund fees.
- Download and complete
Form D-1. In order to submit your information, download the public use data request D-1 form to your desktop. Do not complete this form while you are on the web, the data will not be saved.
- Enclose payment in check form (we cannot accept credit cards) and send it along with form D-1 to the address below. The cost is $250 per year of data. Please make checks payable to Oregon Health Authority.
After the request has been approved and full payment has been received, the data order will be sent out.
More detailed information for research and analysis purposes can be obtained from
Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Central Distributor
HCUP datasets are not fully de-identified and will require a data use agreement, study proposal and plan for maintaining confidentiality for access. Be aware that:
- The cost is $750/year of data requested.
- Researchers and all other persons with access to the data are required to read and sign an
agreement with HCUP.
- Please refer to the HCUP website for further information on ordering, payments and data use requirements.
Send forms and payment to:
Oregon Health Authority
Office of Health Analytics
Attn: Data Fulfillment Officer
500 Summer St NE, E-64
Salem, OR 97301
If you have further questions, please contact HDD.Admin@odhsoha.oregon.gov