HB 2007 establishes deadlines, after which certain older model, diesel engine vehicles cannot be titled or registered in Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington Counties, unless they meet retrofit requirements. The gross vehicle weight rating for diesel vehicles categorized in HB 2007 are:
- Medium-duty (14,001 - 26,000 lbs.)
- Heavy-duty (>26,000 lbs.)
Gross vehicle weight rating means the value specified by the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a single or a combination vehicle.
The legislation allows a vehicle to be registered or titled after the phase-out deadlines, if it is equipped with DEQ/EQC-certified retrofit technology. The legislation also exempts certain vehicle types from phase-out deadlines. For vehicles regulated by HB 2007, DEQ will complete a rulemaking to establish criteria for certification of approved retrofit technologies by 2021.
The engine model years and deadlines for registration of approved retrofit options are:
- Jan. 1, 2023:
Publicly and privately owned medium- and heavy-duty trucks with an engine model year 1996 or older cannot be registered
- Jan. 1, 2025:
- Medium-duty trucks with an engine model year 2009 or older cannot be titled
- Heavy-duty trucks with an engine model year 2006 or older cannot be titled
- Jan. 1, 2029:
- Publicly and privately owned medium-duty trucks with an engine model year 2009 or older cannot be registered
- Publicly owned heavy-duty trucks with an engine model year 2009 or older cannot be registered
- Privately owned heavy-duty trucks with an engine model year 2006 or older cannot be registered
HB 2007 Retrofit
Compliance Rulemaking 2021
follow the links provided to find the diesel retrofit compliance rules:
For additional information, please contact Rick Reznic, operations and policy analyst.