In 2018 a CCO incentive metric was introducted to focus on reducing emergency department (ED) utilization for members experiencing mental illness. This is a health care disparity metric meant to address a clear disparity in average life expectancy. Adults living with serious mental illness die 25 years earlier than other Americans, largely due to treatable medical conditions.
Webinar series: Whole health in populations experiencing mental illness
CCO-contracted health care clinicians, clinical staff and CCO staff are invited to participate in a 4-session webinar series. Sessions will focus on what clinicians and clinical teams can do to improve whole health for populations experiencing mental illness (MI), with the goal to reduce inappropriate ED utilization and hospital readmissions. Sessions will focus on the following topics:
- Access to health care for populations experiencing mental illness
- Pain and pain management for those with mental illness
- Dental/oral health for MI populations, including examples of coordination/integration
- Sustaining clinician satisfaction when working with medically complex patients
Register for this webinar series - space is limited!
See full details and schedule
Virtual learning collaborative: Systems improvement for populations experiencing mental illness
This 4-session virtual learning collaborative is focused on what CCOs can do to improve care for populations experiencing mental illness, with the goal to reduce inappropriate emergency department utilization and hospital readmissions.
- See full details
- Review and clarification of the metric, getting started with PreManage, and beginning to work with the population
- Sharing data on the ED MI population with community mental health and primary care teams
- High risk huddles: a tool to support ED reduction
- Keys to success in managing CCO disparity population
Virtual learning collaborative: Behavioral and physical health integration - lessons from the field
Behavioral and physical health clinicians, clinic staff, and community partners who work in the fields of primary care, community mental health and addiction are invited to participate in a 4-session virtual learning collaborative on behavioral and physical health integration. Experts will share what the health care community can do to improve care for populations experiencing mental illness, with the goal to reduce emergency department utilization and hospital readmissions. Sessions will feature case examples.
- See full details and schedule (February-April 2019)
- Setting the stage for integration
- Case examples from La Clinica and Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare
- Technology tools for primary care and implementing collective platform in behavioral health network
- Peer support 101 (medical settings)
Other OHA opportunities
2019 Collective/PreManage technical assistance
The Oregon Health Leadership Council and HIT Commons are hosting technical assistance webinars and learning collaboratives to support the use of the Collective Platform (formerly known as EDIE/PreManage). See the full calendar of events and registration details
Recorded webinars: Strategies to reduce ED utilization for members experiencing mental illness
This webinar series provides strategies for data-informed interventions and shares first-hand experience of CCOs and health care organizations aiming to reduce ED utilization for members experiencing mental illness. You’ll find a detailed description of each webinar on its registration page.
- An Introduction to the ED-MI disparity metric
- An analytic method for exploring avoidable ED utilization
- Tri-county 911 service coordination program
- Resources and innovative interventions in Medicaid for managing patient pain
Anona Gund: Anona.E.Gund@dhsoha.state.or.us or 971-673-2832
CCO incentive measure technical specifications and guidance documents are available from the Office of Health Analytics.