Updates will be posted to this web page, as well as sent out via
2023 DEQ Online Hazardous Waste Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Basic Training
DEQ provides online training on the basics of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, hazardous waste rules, and managing the most common wastes. Classes are free. Register through the Zoom registration links below.
NOTE: This is
not a Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response or HAZWOPER training. Your state or regional Occupational Safety and Health Administration office may be able to provide information on options.
Topics covered by the Hazardous Waste RCRA Basic Training
- Background of RCRA
- RCRA definition of solid waste
- RCRA definition of hazardous waste
- RCRA excluded and exempted wastes
- The hazardous waste determination process
- Hazardous waste recycling, treatment and disposal
- Management requirements (storage, transport, disposal)
- Emergency preparedness, spills and record-keeping requirements
- Basics of toxics use reduction
- Tips for compliance from a DEQ RCRA inspector
Virtual training dates
April 19, 2023, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Sept. 7, 2023, 8 a.m. to noon
Nov. 15, 2023, 8 a.m. to noon
After registering for the above meetings, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. For questions, contact Alex Bertolucci.
In-person training dates
In-person classes are free except where noted. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis since space is limited. Registration is required and the registration contact information is located in the link below.
How to Make a Hazardous Waste Determination
- Management Standards for Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals and Amendment to the P075 Listing for Nicotine: Changes for Healthcare Facilities, March 8, 2022.
- Generator Improvements Rule, March 30, 2022