Skip to main content Homepage

Filing a Civil Rights Complaint


This section provides information on filing complaints of discrimination or harassment.
Allegations of discrimination or harassment, based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability and age, are addressed by specific federal law and Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 659.850, Discrimination in Education Prohibited. Allegations of discrimination or harassment, based on religion, marital status and sexual orientation, are also addressed by ORS 659.850.

Helpful Links

The above link to the Oregon School Boards Association (OSBA) provides links to all Oregon school districts with active web sites. Oregon school districts must adopt written procedures for the prompt resolution of complaints of discrimination or harassment. These procedures are available at any district school or office. District procedures are often printed in school student and parent handbooks. Many districts also post this information on their district or school web sites. It is ideal to alert the local Oregon school district first of any concerns and follow its procedures for investigation and resolution.
Complaints against Oregon school districts, based on federal civil rights law, may also be filed immediately with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights in Seattle. The section "Know Your Rights" will provide specific details. The Office for Civil Rights also accepts complaints at 915 Second Avenue, Seattle, WA 98174; Phone: (206) 607-1600; Fax: (206) 607-1601; TDD: (206) 607-1647.
For a description of the Oregon Department of Education hearings and appeals process and how to file an appeal select the above link. Use "Ctrl-F" function, enter rule number 581-021-0049 and the browser will find each instance of the rule listed on the page. Appeals may be presented to the Oregon Department of Education (ODE), after exhausting local (Oregon school district) grievance procedures or 90 days, whichever comes first. Appeals to ODE must be in writing to the Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction, 255 Capitol St. NE, Salem, OR 97310; Phone: (503) 947-5740; Fax: (503) 378-4772.

United States Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Services
Discrimination complaints regarding the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, Child and Adult Care Food Program, Summer Food Service Program and USDA Food Distribution Program may be made directly to USDA by following this link.
Complaints regarding licensed school officials are addressed by the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC), a separate agency from the Oregon Department of Education. The "Educator Complaint” hotlink in the Directory column (left margin of home page) will provide specific details. The Teacher Standards and Practices Commission also accept complaints at 250 Division Street NE, Salem, OR 97301; Phone: (503) 378-3586; Fax: (503) 378-4448; TDD: (503) 378-6961.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how