ORS 329.841 directs the Department of Education (ODE) to develop and implement a statewide education plan for African American/Black students who are in early childhood through post-secondary education programs. The Department has convened an advisory group comprised of members of the African American/Black community and other community partners from across the state of Oregon to advise the Department on the creation and implementation of the plan.
The plan addresses:
- The disparities experienced by African American and Black students in every indicator of academic success
- The historical partices leading to disproportionate outcomes for the students
- The educational needs of the students from early childhood through post-secondary education by examining culturally responsive and appropriate best practices in this state and across the nation
The Department will be awarding grants to early learning service providers, school districts, post-secondary institutions, and community-based organizations to implement strategies developed in the plan.
Sign up here to receive announcements!
AABSS 2022 Legislative Report
March 1, 2022
ORS 329.841 directs the Department of Education (ODE) to submit a
report on the African American/Black Student Success Plan to the legislature every biennium.
AABSS 2021-2023 Grantees
September 21, 2021
The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2021-2023 African American/Black Student Success Plan (AABSS) grants.
- Airway Science for Kids, Inc.
- African Youth and Community Organization (AYCO)
- Black Parent Initiative (BPI)
- Coalition of Black Men (COBM)
- Center for African Immigrants and Refugees Organization (CAIRO)
- Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO)
- Lane Education Service District
- Multnomah Education Service District
- Oregon State University (OSU)
- Portland Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc. (POIC)
- Self Enhancement, Inc. (SEI)
- Southern Oregon Education Service District
- Washington County
For more information and contacts for the grantees, please
visit our Directory page.
Advisory Group Meeting
African American/Black Student Success Advisory Group will meet on the first Wednesday of every month, from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. The Advisory Group has an upcoming meeting on November 2, 2022. The Advisory Group is accepting public testimony in written form by 5:00 p.m. the Monday before the meeting. Please submit public testimony to Erin Rothweiler.
Shelaswau Crier - Equity Education Specialist, African American/Black Student Success Plan Coordinator