House Bill 2016 directs the Department of Education to develop and implement a statewide education plan for African American/Black students who are in early childhood through post-secondary education programs. The Department has convened an advisory group comprised of members of the African American/Black community and other community partners from across the state of Oregon to advise the Department on the creation and implementation of the plan.
The plan addresses:
- the disparities experienced by African American and Black students in every indicator of academic success.
- the historical practices leading to disproportionate outcomes for the students.
- the educational needs of the students from early childhood through post-secondary education by examining culturally responsive and appropriate best practices in this state and across the nation.
The African American/Black Student Success Advisory Group meets on the first Friday of every month. The Advisory Group is accepting public testimony. However, due to COVID-19 public testimony must be submitted in written form to Erin Rothweiler by 5:00p.m. the Thursday before the meeting.
Click here for a link to the current Advisory Group Charter
Click here to few the current Advisory Group Members(Coming Soon!)
Sign up here to receive announcements!
Upcoming Advisory Group Meetings
- May 7, 2021, 9:00am-12:00pm
- June 25, 2021, 9:00am-12:00pm
For questions, contact Shelaswau Crier, Equity Education Specialist / African American/Black Student Success Plan Coordinator at