Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility East (Facility) is an approved, but not-yet-constructed, 200-megawatt (MW) wind energy generation facility. The Facility is approved to include up to 66 wind turbines, up to 32 miles of two overhead, parallel 230 kV transmission lines, and other related and supporting facilities to be located within an approximately 4,582-acre site boundary in Umatilla and Morrow Counties.
On May 16, 2023, the Oregon Department of Energy received a preliminary Request for Amendment 1 to the Site Certificate for Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility East.
- Expand the site boundary by approximately 75,000 acres, to 79,424.
- Expand the micrositing corridor by approximately 11,000 acres, to 15,341 acres.
- Construct up to 40 additional turbines for a total of up to 106 turbines with maximum blade-tip height of 499.7 feet and a combined generating capacity of up to 300 MW.
- Modify proposed collection system to consist of approximately 94.7 miles of underground line.
- Expand Battery Energy Storage Capacity by 10-MW, for a total of 30 MW.
- Realign proposed transmission lines along two newly proposed routes that partially overlap with previously approved corridors.
- Add 44 miles of new access roads, for a total of 64 miles.
- Expand project substation to accommodate new generating capacity.
- Add a new temporary construction yard with up to 60 acres of temporary disturbance area.
- Extend the construction completion deadline by 3 years, from May 24, 2023, to May 24, 2026.
Following review and completeness determination of pRFA1, the Department will issue a Draft Proposed Order and a Public Notice requesting public comment on the amendment request and Draft Proposed Order. These materials will be posted to the project webpage below upon issuance.
WREFE facility components are located in Umatilla and Morrow counties. WREFE is located approximately 16 miles northeast of Heppner. PDF Map I Online Map
Wheatridge East Wind LLC, a subsidiary of NextEra Energy Resources LLC.|
|Applicant/Certificate holder contact:
On November 19, 2020, the Energy Facility Siting Council approved Request for Amendment 1 of the Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility II site certificate, which authorized allocation of previously approved facility components into an amended and two original site certificates for Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility II, Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility III and Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility East, respectively. The documentation for the original project can be found on the Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility II webpage.
- Click here to view a diagram of the Site Certificate history.