Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility East (Facility) is an approved, but not-yet-constructed, 200-megawatt (MW) wind energy generation facility. The Facility is approved to include up to 66 wind turbines, up to 32 miles of two overhead, parallel 230 kV transmission lines, and other related and supporting facilities to be located within an approximately 4,582-acre site boundary in Umatilla and Morrow Counties.
On January 30, 2024, the Oregon Department of Energy received Request for Amendment 1 to the Site Certificate for Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility East. In the Request, the certificate holder proposes to:
- Expand the site boundary by approximately 75,000 acres, for a total of 78,985 acres.
- Expand the micrositing corridors by approximately 11,000 acres, to 14,640 acres.
- Construct up to 41 additional turbines for a total of up to 107 turbines with maximum blade-tip height of 499.7 feet and a combined generating capacity of up to 300 MW.
- Modify the design of the 34.5 kV electrical collection system to consist of approximately 94.7 miles of underground line.
- Expand the maximum capacity of the Battery Energy Storage System by 10 MW, for a total of 30 MW.
- Replace previously approved corridors for a 230-kV overhead transmission line with new 27-mile corridor.
- Construct up to 56 miles of additional new access roads, for a total of 76 miles.
- Construct one additional project substation to accommodate new generating capacity.
- Add a new temporary construction yard with up to 60 acres of temporary disturbance area.
- Extend the construction completion deadline by 3 years, from May 24, 2023, to May 24, 2026.
The Department expects to issue a Draft Proposed Order by February 16, 2024, and will issue public notice on the amendment request and Draft Proposed Order at that time. A public comment period will begin upon issuance of the Draft Proposed Order.
WREFE facility components are located in Umatilla and Morrow counties. WREFE is located approximately 16 miles northeast of Heppner. PDF Map I Online Map
Wheatridge East Wind LLC, a subsidiary of NextEra Energy Resources LLC.
|Applicant/Certificate holder contact:
On November 19, 2020, the Energy Facility Siting Council approved Request for Amendment 1 of the Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility II site certificate, which authorized allocation of previously approved facility components into an amended and two original site certificates for Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility II, Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility III and Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility East, respectively. The documentation for the original project can be found on the Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility II webpage.
- Click here to view a diagram of the Site Certificate history.