The Oregon Department of Education Speech-Language Pathology Scholarship Program
The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) Speech-Language Pathology Scholarship Program seeks to address the critical shortage of qualified speech-language pathologists available to serve students in K-12 school districts and Educational Service Districts (ESDs) throughout the state of Oregon. The program works collaboratively with eligible post-secondary institutions, the Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, and the Oregon Speech-Language-Hearing Association (OSHA) to address the needs of school-based speech-language pathologists and the programs that employ them. Participants in the program currently receive a total grant of $10,000.
Information for Scholarship Candidates
In order to qualify for the scholarship, the candidate must meet the following criteria:
Scholarship candidate must hold a valid license from the Oregon Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology.
- Scholarship candidate must be registered as a student in an eligible post-secondary institution.
- Scholarship candidate must agree to receive training during the Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY), as a student under the supervision of a staff person employed by the sponsoring K-12 school district or ESD in Oregon.
- Scholarship candidate must agree to be employed for a minimum of two years of service (CFY plus one additional year) within the sponsoring agency in the state of Oregon. If a participant does not meet the employment requirement the participant must pay back any amount received.
- Scholarship candidate must provide verification of employer agreement to sponsor their participation in the Oregon Department of Education Speech-Language Pathology Scholarship Program.
- Scholarship candidate and CFY supervisor must complete a brief survey each school year.
Scholarship candidates have the responsibility of verifying that their employer is willing to participate in the program. Each participating SLP enters into an individual agreement with their employing agency regarding their participation in the program. Specific financial details for the program, including timelines and any taxes/fees to be paid, are determined between the candidate and employer.
Information for Employers (School Districts and ESDs)
ODE provides grants for participants from the Speech-Language Pathologist Training Fund through the employing K-12 school district or ESD programs that have agreed to sponsor the participant. These grants are provided according to an individual agreement that the employer and participant enter into to meet the requirements set forth in Oregon Revised Statutes. This arrangement allows for ODE to ensure that statutory requirements are met while still ensuring the employer can set agreements with employees that meet local needs.
Once the employer has confirmed that such an agreement has been entered into, they are eligible to receive funding through ODE’s grant management system to cover the cost of the scholarship award to the scholarship recipient. A stipend of $400 per participant is also available to the employing agencies to offset the cost of supervising scholarship recipients during their CFY.
It is the employer’s responsibility to develop and enter into the individual agreement that meets statutory requirements for this program. Specific financial details for the program, including timelines and any taxes/fees to be paid, are determined between the candidate and employer.