House Bill 3499 directs the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) to develop and implement a statewide education plan for English Language Learners who are in our K-12 education system. The plan will address disparities experienced by English Language Learners in every indicator of academic success, from the historical practices leading to disproportionate outcomes for the students to the educational needs of the students from K-12 education, by examining and applying culturally appropriate best practices.
As part of the plan, HB 3499 requires the following:
- Directs the Department of Education to develop and implement a statewide plan to support students eligible for and enrolled in an English language learner program
- Creates the Statewide English Language Learner (ELL) Program Account for statewide activities related to English language learner programs
- Directs Oregon Department of Education to convene an advisory group and adopt rules related to developing uniform budget coding requirements and uniform reporting requirements to provide budget transparency for the spending of moneys received by school districts as provided by the poverty weight in the State School Fund
- Directs ODE to convene a work group related to the English language learner program policy
- Directs ODE to adopt rules regarding school interventions
- Directs school districts to annually report, by September 1 of each year, allocations and expenditures related to English language learner programs; student demographics and progress
Sign up for announcements
October 7, 2022
The Oregon Department of Education's Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (OEDI) is excited to share that the Request for Proposals (RFP) for the creation of Multilinugal/English Learner Resource Bank research-practice briefs is open as of October 3, 2022. For more information please visit the
HB3499 Resources Webpage.
English Learner Advisory Group Meeting
There is an upcoming meeting of the
English Learner Advisory Group on December 16, 2021 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. The Advisory Group is accepting public testimony. However, due to COVID-19, public testimony must be submitted in written form to
Ana Salas by 5:00 p.m. the Tuesday before the meeting.
Mariana Praschnik-Enriquez - Education Specialist
Mirela Blekic - Education Specialist
Kelly Kalkofen - Education Specialist
Taffy Carlisle - Education Specialist