House Bill 3499 directs the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) to develop and implement a statewide education plan for English Language Learners who are in our K-12 education system. The plan will address disparities experienced by English Language Learners in every indicator of academic success, from the historical practices leading to disproportionate outcomes for the students to the educational needs of the students from K-12 education, by examining and applying culturally appropriate best practices.
As part of the plan, HB 3499 requires the following:
- Directs the Department of Education to develop and implement a statewide plan to support students eligible for and enrolled in an English language learner program
- Creates the Statewide English Language Learner (ELL) Program Account for statewide activities related to English language learner programs
- Directs Oregon Department of Education to convene an advisory group and adopt rules related to developing uniform budget coding requirements and uniform reporting requirements to provide budget transparency for the spending of moneys received by school districts as provided by the poverty weight in the State School Fund
- Directs ODE to convene a work group related to the English language learner program policy
- Directs ODE to adopt rules regarding school interventions
- Directs school districts to annually report, by September 1 of each year, allocations and expenditures related to English language learner programs; student demographics and progress
Sign up here for announcements
English Learner Advisory Group Letter of Interest
June 8, 2021
The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) is pleased to invite your application to become a member of the ODE English Learner (EL) Advisory Group. As member of the EL Advisory Group, you will have an opportunity to help shape policies and practices related to EL education in Oregon. We are looking for individuals with experience, insight, and passion to advance equitable outcomes for English learners.
Deadline to apply is July 30, 2021. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Ana Salas with any questions you may have about this opportunity.
See below for the PDF and Microsoft Word Document formats of the Letter of Interest in the following languages. Letters of Interest should be completed and emailed to Ana Salas.
Mariana Praschnik-Enriquez - Education Specialist
Mirela Blekic - Education Specialist
Kelly Kalkofen - Education Specialist
Taffy Carlisle - Education Specialist