Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Secondary Transition Services

Beginning not later than the first IEP to be in effect when the student is 16 and updated annually thereafter, the IEP must include the transition services (including courses of study) needed to assist the student in reaching the postsecondary goals. In situations in which the student is turning 16 during the duration of the IEP and updated annually thereafter, the IEP team may want to address these issues at the time of the annual review rather than meeting again before the student turns 16.

Course of study. The student's course of study, which must be updated annually, should relate directly to the student's postsecondary goals (e.g., "family and consumer science classes to acquire adult living skills, instruction in daily living skills, functional math, and community-based work experience in food service"; "math coursework through algebra II, all industrial arts classes that focus on engineering in construction fields, and community work experience"; "college preparation courses"). The course of study statement should address the classes, experiences, and activities that will be meaningful to the student's future, motivate the student to complete his or her education, and support post-school outcomes. A particular course of study may target academic classes, such as advanced placement courses, for the student. It also may focus on non-academic courses and activities such as vocational education courses or work experience.

Transition Services. The student's needed transition services are part of a long-range plan that coordinates the last years of high school and the years immediately following high school. The services are focused on improving the academic and functional achievement of the student with a disability to facilitate movement from school to post-school activities, including postsecondary education, vocational education, integrated employment (including supported employment), continuing and adult education, adult services, independent living or community participation. The IEP team must indicate the services that are addressed in the IEP (e.g., instruction, community experiences, employment and other post-school adult living objectives, daily living skills, and/or functional vocational evaluation, if appropriate).

Transition Reference Materials Flowchart