Water Quality Permits

Stormwater runoff from land and impervious areas such as paved streets, parking lots, and building rooftops during rainfall and snow events often contain pollutants that could adversely affect water quality. National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permits are required for stormwater discharges to surface waters from municipalities if stormwater from rain or snow melt leaves a site through a "point source" and reaches surface waters either directly or through storm drainage. A point source is a natural or human-made conveyance of water through such things as pipes, culverts, ditches, catch basins, or any other type of channel.

Current actions

The 1200-CN Stormwater Discharge Permit expired Dec. 15, 2020. DEQ invites the public to provide written comment on the conditions of the proposed 1200-CN Water Quality Permit, known officially as the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Stormwater General Discharge Permit. The draft 1200-CN Permit Evaluation Report and Appendices A and B are available for review.

Please submit written comments by 5 p.m. Friday, June 25, 2021. You may submit your comments by mail or email to:

Blair Edwards
Stormwater Program Coordinator
700 NE Multnomah St., Ste. 600
Portland, OR 97232

1200-CN Permit

1200-CN Permit modification

1200-CN Construction Stormwater General Permit

DEQ has modified the 1200-CN Construction Stormwater General Permit to include the following as 1200-CN jurisdictions, also referred to as Qualified Local Programs:

  • City of Keizer

  • Marion County

  • Oak Lodge Water Services District


1200-CA Permit

1200-CA (Government Agencies) Permit Copy

This permit document is for reference purposes only. 1200-CA is no longer available to new applicants. Please use 1200-C instead.



For more information,visit our contacts page for the local DEQ office or agent.

For information on 1200-C Construction Stormwater Series Permits for general use, view the 1200-C Construction Stormwater Permit - General Use page.