The McKinney-Vento Act’s Education of Homeless Children and Youth Program, ensures that homeless children and youth are provided a free, appropriate public education, despite lack of a fixed place of residence or a supervising parent or guardian. The state public school admission statute assuring the right of homeless and other children and youth in similar circumstances to enroll in schools is ORS 339.115(7).
Every school district in Oregon has at least one designated Homeless Student Liaison to provide direct assistance to homeless families and unaccompanied youths to access and achieve in school. To reach a district liaison, contact the district’s administrative office, or the state Homeless Education Program office.
District Liaison Contacts
Laws & Guidance
Links to federal and state laws, and federal guidance on the McKinney-Vento Act, Education of Homeless Children & Youth Program.
Oregon School District Compliance
These documents describe the ways Oregon LEAs are advised to maintain federal compliance with McKinney-Vento, within the procedures and consolidated documents that ODE requires from LEAs.
McKinney-Vento Posters and Links
Resources and Links: Includes the main national association links that provide information on program implementation, FAQs, training and other resources that may help LEAs manage local homeless student education programs. If your Oregon LEA has a particular intake form, training manual or program method that should be considered for a link on this page, please email the document to Dona Bolt
- U.S. Department of Education, Education of Homeless Children and Youth Programs: Federal management of the McKinney-Vento Act’s Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program, through the Office of Safe and Healthy Students.
- National Center for Homeless Education: Under federal contract, NCHE provides technical assistance, webinars, topical briefs, and toolkits for school district Homeless Liaisons and State Coordinators.
- SchoolHouse Connection is a national organization providing strategic advocacy and technical assistance for McKinney-Vento Education programs in partnership with early childhood programs, public schools, higher education, service providers, families and youth.
- National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty: The mission of NLCHP is to prevent and end homelessness by serving as the legal arm of the nationwide movement to end homelessness.
- National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth: membership organization for McKinney-Vento program staffs sponsoring annual national conference.
Homeless Student Data
Regarding data posted in this section: Counts of 1 to 5 students have been suppressed to protect confidentiality. State totals are unduplicated, while other totals may include students identified more than once.
2017-2018 Homeless Student Data
2016-2017 Homeless Student Data
2015-2016 Homeless Student Data
2014 - 2015 Homeless Student Data
2013-14 Homeless Student Data
2012-13 Homeless Student Data
District Data Collection Requirements