Site Visit Reviews
This page provides information around ODE's visits to transportation locations throughout Oregon.
Oregon Department of Education's Pupil Transportation analyst team deploys to school bus and school activity vehicle operations across the state, typically during the standard school year in Fall, Winter and Spring. Operations & Policy Analysts review compliance with applicable Oregon regulations in statute and rule concerning minimum vehicle standards, driver qualifications and training history, and address any concerns with supervisors.
Site visit reviews involve ODE analyst interviews, records reviews and mechanical inspections at both the transportation operation (district-run or contractor locations) and district administration offices. Analysts will review the following aspects of a pupil transportation program:
- School board transportation-related policies
- Suppelemental Plan use & implementation
- Accident Reports in the last three years
- Mandated annual evacuation training for regular and occasional riders
- Special Pupil Activity Bus (SPAB) use for acticity trips
- Use of temporary drivier approvals
- Federal drug and alcohol testing requirements
- Criminal history checks through ODE's fingerprinting program
- Annual vehicle inspections for school buses and school activity vehicles
- School bus and activity vehicle use
- Vehicle maintenance records
- Daily vehicle inspections
- School bus driver training & qualification files
- Activity driver training & qualification files
- Vehicle operating condition inspected by ODE analysts
ODE's Pupil Transportation Unit typically informs locations of scheduled visits in writing 30 days prior to arrival. If you have been informed that the ODE team will conduct a site visit, please complete and submit the transportation pre-review questionnaire document in one of the formats linked below in preparation for ODE's visit.
Questionnaire (Microsoft Word)
Questionnaire (fillable PDF)
Contact email@example.com with any questions.